Friday, September 16, 2011

Hello World!

Hello world…another person with an opinion and a voice joining the internet.

Well, it has been 14 years since I’ve taken the California Bar Exam…the most gruesome test I’ve ever taken.  I’m proud to say that I’ve passed on my first try.  Honestly, I never wanted to take it again, so I’m unsure of what I would have done, all those years ago, if I had not passed.  Since then, I’ve done lots of things, raised children, businesses, etc…but never practiced law!

Now, with a sudden move to the opposite side of the continent (the warmer, more humid, with more bugs side of the continent), I find myself with time on my hands (i.e. no work), a bit aimless, and planning the next decade or two of my life.  So, what better than taking the Florida Bar Exam?

I’ve always wanted to practice law, but various circumstances conspired to keep me away from that path.  Now, in my mid-40′s, I decided that it is time to unleash my inner Matlock, Perry Mason, or Atticus Finch and practice law.  Of course, before I can hang my shingle, I need to be licensed by the great state of Florida to cross the bar and speak in front of the judge, the jury, and opposing counsel.

So here I am, about to embark on my masochist quest to re-learn the many black-letter legal facts and rules, all those random case names, and the many new developments of federal law, plus all the variations that Florida law has compared to California law.  I honestly don’t know how I will do this time around, but I guess this is why I’m writing this, to see what I learn in this journey, and how it will all turn out in about 5 months…stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment